Winters have arrived, but you may not be ready yet. We spend more than nine months in the tropical climate, a norm in South Asian countries. So, when the winter arrives, most of you seem to succumb to the chill and cold. It may not be possible to visit a doctor every time you catch a cold or cough. However, grandma’s DIYs or home remedies are here.
Read on to know more about them.
5 Home Remedies for Cough and Cold
1. Ginger Tea is the first thing that comes to mind when treating cough and cold. It is commonly available in Indian households, so you will not have a problem laying your hands on it. It has medicinal properties that reduce inflammation and soothe the throat. Fresh ginger also has a strong anti-microbial effect. You can make ginger tea very easily. Juts grate some fresh ginger and steep it in a cup of hot water. You can also add some honey if required.
2. Milk and turmeric drinks are another option. Turmeric is a constant ingredient in most Indian kitchens. Moreover, you already know about its anti-oxidant properties. It also soothes external wounds. If you drink a glass of warm milk with turmeric in it, you will quickly get rid of cough and cold.
3. Pineapple is another wonderful fruit that you can count amongst the best cough and cold remedies. It contains an enzyme called Bromelain. The enzyme is supposed to relieve one of the symptoms due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It is said to relieve sinusitis. Cough generally occurs due to the mucous that gathers inside the throat. Pineapple helps to reduce inflammation and relieve your sore throat. When you have a cold or cough, you must take pineapple juice at room temperature.
4. Saltwater gargle comes next. Now, here is something that everybody knows. But people often forget these effective remedies when it occurs. Here we are talking about the saltwater gargle. It is an excellent sore throat reliever. It can reduce mucous buildup in the throat and soothe itch inside the throat. You will also get instant relief from the swelling.
5. Peppermint tea is another option that you can avail yourself of. It is soothing and caffeine-free. Moreover, it contains a compound called Menthol. It promotes rest and relaxation. This herb also has anti-viral properties. Your pain and inflammation get reduced in no time. Going back to the menthol, it has the power to numb nerve endings. Thus, you cough less. Menthol also reduces congestion. So, it is counted amongst the best cough and cold remedies.
These are a few of the most common home remedies for the problems related to the throat and nose in winters. Apart from the above, you can always rely on common modes of treatment at home, like chewing Tulsi leaves and taking steam with mint leaves immersed in the water. There are so many of them in the organic texts. It would help if you chose yours.